Brewing the Daft Cat ESB

18 hours after pitching the Mauribrew 514 Ale Yeast

18 hours after pitching the Mauribrew 514 Ale Yeast

Brewday again and this time I was looking to do something less fruity and more in line with a basic English Bitter.

I started out with a recipe for a basic brown ale and made a few twists and changes to suit what grains and hops I had here to use up. So instead of using just Pale Ale or 2 Row for the base malt, I ended up adding about 1.5 kilos of Marris Otter just finish up the sack of that and made up the rest of the base malt with Pale Ale malt.

The rest of the grain bill was made up of some Cara-pils, but only had 100g left instead of the 225g I would have liked then some Crystal and chocolate malts.

Hops were going to be all East Kent Goldings, however I had less left than I thought, I must have forgot to click remove inventory in Beersmith on one of my brews, So EKG were used for bittering and Styrian Goldings for the late hops.

Hit the expected gravities on the head again, both pre-boil and post boil and the volumes so good to have shaken of the issues that made me miss gravities on the past couple of brews, and to get the efficiency back up to where it should be.

Quite some time ago I made a wheat beer using Mauribrew yeast, and I thought it did well in that, so I picked up a Mauribrew 514 Ale Yeast and used that for this batch. Rehydrated it and pictured is the overnight results after 18 hours or so.

 

Looking forward to seeing how this one comes out and I will update you when its ready.

 

Daftcat ESB recipe

Posted in What's Brewing